13 July 2006

 

cut and aligned

the haircut went fine. i sat in the chair at the salon, and the woman asked, "what is there to do for you?" in german. i told her i wanted it shorter, and she asked how short? ...oh, a number one. but everything's metric over here! so we started out with a 3mm guard, and then went to a 2mm. beauteous. 10€ and 10 minutes later, i was all hübsch and cute again.

Saturday and Sunday were the Samba festival in Coburg. I stayed at Pia's parents house. wow, gorgeous, huge, and old. They rent out the top floor as an apartment. Her parents planted fruit trees when each of the kids was born. Mumsi took me to the Veste, the big castle on the hill, and I got some pictures, but most of the weekend was spent wandering around the city, listening to the drum groups. There were drinks with my boss from the US, I attended a Mass at the Catholic church, and lunched in little outdoor cafes. no surprise to the euros, but it has me charmed.

Sunday night I was back in Bamberg, and the Italian fans were out all night chanting about how they won the World Cup. I got very little sleep. then I had the pleasure of attending an 8 hour meeting in technical German (the TTT, door sytem technical day). It was a hotel conference room without A/C, filled with 35 shooters in suits. And me in a skirt and sandals. heh. So it was hugely warm, I got to give my presentation early, and then spend the rest of the day figuring out what was being said. We had a delicious heavy german lunch and went back into our technical sauna. by the end of the day my brain was a gloopy dribble coming out of my left ear. Dinner at a biergarten on the hill and a nice long walk home helped restore me.

Tuesday I hosted a meeting of people who design a certain plastic component. There were maybe 20 of us, it was at the Hallstadt office, so it was at least partly air conditioned, and it was a daylong open discussion. I think everyone was really engaged, and they decided to have this meeting again, in connection with the TTT. w00t. i'm a trendsetter.

Tuesday night Pia took me to the wooded area and set me loose with the bike. She said, "when you want to go back, go in the direction of Gaustadt." So, instead I went towards Mühlenburg. I learn the most by getting myself lost. So I took these fire roads, up some pretty steep hills. I didn't take any of the side trails (though i hear there's not much singletrack to be had) and rode in the woods for awhile. It was nice, quiet, and refreshing.

The woods abruptly ended, and so began the fields. They grow wheat and barley in this area, and something else i didn't recognize, but I came out in the hilly golden farmland just as the sun was touching the top of the trees. I rode for a bit on the paved path between the fields, then found myself in the little town of Mühlenburg. from there, it was easy to get back. There's a paved bike path a few meters to the side of the road. I pedaled the 7km back to Bamberg, quite proud of myself, not having to ask for directions. It helps taht the cities here all have huge church spires, good distant landmarks.

Wednesday was a visit with HR, talking about the red tape requirements of life in germany. we walked to the cathedral, through the rose garden, and had lunch at the Brasserie. Afterwards we stopped at the post office, and visited an apartment for rent. i think i have a pretty clear idea of how they live here. i can definitely do it.

now i just need to find a job. the org structure wasn't released, so i'm still waiting. but the design manager seems keen to have me, though.

this morning i picked up 2 big pretzels with pumpkin seeds (currently my favorite treat) and a sweet roll with elder berries for 1,5€. cha-heep. i'm currently enamored of the bakeries. and the outdoor cafes, and biergartens. mein Gott! i'm honeymooning. next, by all accounts, comes culture shock. we'll wait and see. i think I'm pretty well suited to life here. train travel is super easy, the work adjustment will be tough, but not like joining a new company, and that language barrier is coming down already.

here's what i've been able to do in German so far:
1. order food
2. chat
3. ask questions
4. understand answers
5. pay and tip
6. ask for things from people at the store (butcher and baker, candlestickmaker is tomorrow)
7. get deposit back for glasses at standup bars
8. get a haircut

my business presentations have been in English. I understood a good portion of the TTT, and the round table the next day was a lively mix of people asking questions in german, answering in english, and coming back again in german. They seem pretty well bilingual here.

though i felt like i lost the game when i was asking for something at the front desk and the lady switched to english on me. rats!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?