20 June 2006

 

lumberjack - race recount

This weekend I completed 50 miles of a 100-mile race. I didn't win. I didn't finish. I'm really happy with my results.

It strikes me as difficult to explain this to people who aren't athletically competitive, because it took me going out of my way and trying it to understand. In fact, I didn't really get it until I did an endurance event by myself.

This weekend I took part in the Lumberjack100, Michigan's only 100 mile mountain bike race. I'd done the Ore to Shore, 48 miles, and most of it on snowmobile trails. The Lumberjack is 100% singletrack - meaning, it's all narrow winding trail with roots and rocks, logs, switchbacks, and lots of sand.

It was my second attempt. The race starts at 7am. We've got to be onsite by about 6am. Lately I'm sleeping until about 7:30, so getting up at 5 is a shock to my system. Last year I tried to eat breakfast at that unnatural hour. 10 miles into the trail my system rejected it. Or, more accurately, Ejected it. After that I couldn't really eat, but managed to get 48 more miles under my belt.

This year, I skipped breakfast. That was a good move. On the trail I relied on bottles of water, packets of Gu (sugary syrup with lots of electrolytes and vitamins), and Jelly Belly's Sport Beans. In the pit area I ate a couple of pop tarts. This year, stomach was not a problem.

3 weeks ago my grandfather was ailing, and passed. For a week or two I spent all of my free time and energy on the family activities associated with that event. Afterwards, I just didn't really feel motivated to get myself back on the bike. So it'd been about 3 weeks since I'd ridden at all. On top of that, the Wednesday before the race I pickled the hell out of myself on a business trip with some coworkers. There was beer and wine and mixed drinks and shots, and a little bit of dancing on the bar. I think my body didn't fully process that alcohol out until ~20 miles into the race course on Saturday.

It was also the second hot day of the year, with temps around 93, high humidity and bright sun. Last year I scored 58 miles in perfect conditions - it was ~70 and overcast, beautiful for riding.

So, it was hot, I hadn't been training, but I'd been abusing my liver. Will the excuses never stop, you ask? I'm giving background, not trying to pass the buck. These were all my decisions (ok, not the weather..). But I'm proud of all of this.

I went 50 miles, got 2 of 4 laps in. The first lap was good, but slow. During the second lap, I started cramping about 5 miles in and stopped at an aid station around the 8 miles mark. I'd been going 3mph up a slight incline and my Heart Rate Monitor showed 180bpm (my max HR is ~195). I didn't feel like I was pushing it, but I did feel tired. When I got off the course to rest and regroup, I had a resting heart rate between 100 and 110bpm. Normally I'm 67-74 resting. I sat in the shade, drank water, ate a pop tart and tried to figure out if I could finish a second lap.

My Mom encouraged me to keep my options open. She asked, "How do you want to think of this tomorrow?" It was about noon. I'd been on the bike for ~5hours. I knew that I could probably make the rest of the lap, and wanted to give it a try. Slow and steady, "You're just out for an afternoon ride," my Dad said. And I did have all afternoon to finish those miles. I took most of it, too.

The ride was beautiful. It was breezy sunny, and went through some gorgeous terrain. Bench cut trails that had probably been made in the 30's by the CCC. Passing under fluttering oak trees as the trail went along a high sandy ridge.

I spent those last 17 miles cramping, popping electrolyte caplets, drinking water, walking the bike. Riding down the hills.

Near the end my jersey stopped being soaked. I'd stopped sweating and started getting goosebumps. Bring on the Heat Exhaustion. I made it to the end and set my bike down. I sat in a chair and our Super Support Gal, Miss Marts, made me some recovery drink.

I think it's hard to explain this to people, maybe because I couldn't understand it myself. But I didn't win. I didn't even finish. I pushed really hard, and am proud of that. The race will be there next year. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

It was really cool that my parents were there. They're such good cheerleaders. :) Nick, Marts, and I had breakfast with them on Father's day. I was sore. Back, knees, hands, shoulders. Sore but happy.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?