03 June 2006

 

Joe Dodd - Closing the Book

Grandpa's viewings were fun. I got to chat with family from out of town. Many of whom I'd heard of but never met.

A couple of my coworkers came, which surprised me. I hadn't been very vocal about the details of the arrangements. They came, stayed for a little while, and sent some really gorgeous flowers. As they left I cried big alligator tears into my Dad's hug. I can hold my shit together when stuff's going on. But when people are all sweet and caring to me, I just fall right apart.

Scott came, looking totally sharp in his shirt and tie. He met Grandma, said Hi to my folks. My 8month pregnant cousin Betty flirted a little. It was fun. I walked him out and he gave me a huge hug. It was very good of him to come.

The funeral was run by Grandpa's nephew, which might make him my second cousin... Either way, a very sweet man and an elder in his church in the UP. All the grandkids (except Ginny, who was on a boat in the Pacific) stood up and said a few words.

We all told stories about Grandpa Joe. There were always stories about food - usually barbecue related, but also including stories of cracker parties and his famous peanut butter, american cheese and mayo sandwiches. Not to mention his cooking practices - how to tell when the meat's done and other grill skillz, or the fact that dinner's not going to be any good if you forget to Baste the Chef.

And I think everyone hit on what they learned from him. There were stories of natural sciences, pickin up sailors, engineering, and military life. He taught us all different things. He always had a story, and was happy to share.

When I visited, as the only other mechanical engineer in the family, he'd talk about problems he'd solved. Tell me about fixing typewriters, diesel engines, his first job - working for the Otis Elevator company back when they were making Anti-Aircraft guns for WWII.

My Dad, Joe's son in law, told about his impressions of Joe as he started courting my mother, that he was always warm and welcoming. Dad was really prepared, all of us grandkids just got up there and cried a bit and gave our broken homages. Dad had it all written down, anecdotes and all. (Note to self).

Joe's brother and sister also spoke, about how Joe was a great family member - attending all kinds of graduations, anniversaries and birthday parties. He loved children and spoke to them as smart little people. They also spoke of him as a good role model, as a father and husband.

The service closed with about half the room singing along to a recording of Tura Lura Lura, an irish lullabye he sung to us all.

Grandpa was buried in the family plot, on a hill under a big shade tree. With military honors. The flag went to Grandma.

We then proceeded to the Racquteball Club for a dessert first buffet with open bar in his honor. He was toasted and feasted.

He'll be missed. But we all learned from him, and carry that with us.

Like, who else knows how to use a wristwatch as a compass? That's an old Joe Dodd trick.

Let me tell you a funny one.. he'd say.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?