26 May 2006

 

The next trip to Europe

So many events to pack into such little time. It's official. I'm headed to germany for the first two weeks of july. This will be part vacation, part technical conference, and part sniffing out a new job.

Our company is headquartered in the cute little village of Coburg. Almost every building in that town has the company logo on it.

My plan is to fly on june 30th, Friday. Arrive Saturday morning July 1, knock around a bit, and head out to the unspecified part of my trip - some sort of vacation from the 1st through 5th or 6th of July. Miss Pia was going to join me, but it's sounding like she's been too ill and missed too much work to join. So now I'm not sure if I should go check out the first couple stages of Le Tour de France , or if I should wander myself into the countryside, maybe Czech out Prague.. *badump tschh* Suggestions? Partners in crime? Feel free to volunteer.

Then it'll be a day in the office at Hallstadt on the 7th, and the annual Samba Festival in Coburg July 8-9. It's a bigger deal this year, what with the town being officially 950 years old (older than European knowledge of my home continent). Check out the Bildergalerie - photos from last year's samba fest. My, they have fab costumes. On Sunday, July 9, I'll be watching the final game of the World Cup Soccer matches, with a beer in one hand and a wurst in the other. It's the culture, dontchaknow.

Monday 10 July is an international technical conference on door modules (my special part of the car). 8 hours of technical german discussion. w00t. Tuesday and Wednesday 11-12, I'll be part of a round table on a new sort of component we're using, the program I'm working on was the company's first attempt at getting one into production, now they're being designed in Germany and Sweden too. It sounds kind of boring, but it's going to be pretty fun from a nerdy engineering standpoint.

Thursday and Friday the 13-14, I'll be checking out our benchmarking center, rubbing some elbows, meeting some people, trying to talk my way into a job. Our new org structure will be announced on 01July, so I'll be trying to sneak my way in.

Saturday 15Jul is the return of the Love Parade, after a 2 year hiatus. Every techno/trance/house club in Berlin (and some from elsewhere) gets a flatbed truck to turn into a float, and they parade down the main streets of Berlin with ~2 million club kids dancing and getting naked all around. My kind of party. So I'll probably be in Berlin on the 15th, and fly home all hung over and nackered on Sunday the 16th.

That the plan right now, anyway. :)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?