26 February 2007

 

Wheels Up!

I had the best bike ride Sunday. It stopped raining around 3. I kicked myself in the head, saying "You'll feel better once you're on the bike!" I loaded the iPod with my Ride It Like You Stole It mix, pulled on my lycra and had the most wonderful feeling, almost like putting on my own skin. ok, that sounds kind of weird, but it felt very Right.

I pumped the tires up to full pressure and nearly killed myself taking the bike down 2 flights of stone staircase in my hard-soled bike shoes. guess we aren't going to do that again.

I started down the hill, and turned at the bottom, taking a road with gentle but constant incline. I rode past the hospital, noted a little nature area that might be good for fat tire riding, and kept going.

I went screeeeeaming fast downhill into Bug, a little village. through Bug and I found a bike-lane that ran along the river, next to a forest and out into the farm fields through one hamlet - 10 houses, chickens scratching in the back yard, wood piled up next to the houses, tractor parked on the curb. sun breaking through clouds. it was perfect.

I was on the road by 4:30, home just after 6. My computer died on the boat ride over, so I have no idea how far I went. I looped around Bamberg, using street signs to find my way back. along the river into the city, past joggers and dogs, under bridges, back into the baroque/gothic/rococco of my new hometown.

With a "Gruß Gott" salutation to a passing neighbor, I scrambled the bike up the stone stairs in my slippery shoes.

I gulped down my Supertang recovery drink, happy as clams.

later, I put up my new-to-me bike-stand (thanks tim!). and this is what my front hall now looks like.


aren't they pretty? :) I'm dorkhappy to look at them every day, instead of having them exiled to the second bedroom, which functions as cold storage for the moment.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?