24 January 2007

 

Meet the Neighbors

Move-in day, around 20:30 I was getting pretty hungry. I figured I'd get dinner, then go over to hallstadt and collect the remainder of my belongings there. I walked to the italian joint at the end of my street. it was my first visit there. I put on my good wool coat, a red tocque (it didn't quite match, but I wanted to wear it). I also wore a fav beat up pair of jeans and green sweater, all just arrived!

as I walked out the door I got hit by the first snowflakes of winter. at the end of january, but still, I was elated to see them. it was nice that it waited for me to be all moved in. it was just dusting down as I walked into the restaurant. the italian owner was on me as I walked through the door, all Prego! Prego! and Bella all over the place. I took a seat and he recommended the Merlot, and a linguine dish.

the restaurant was quiet, i could hear one table in another room. his german wife, and probably a sister or a cousin (italian), and a nephew (italian) were sitting at a table across from me. they Salut'ed with me when my wine came. I read and enjoyed my wine while my dinner was being prepared. While I was waiting, the owner dude noticed it was snowing, so he called his sister in italy. they talked about me a little bit, and then he put me on the phone with her. So I told her it really was snowing, and have a good evening. the cousin at the table across from me laughed, and we all smiled together.

Dinner was great, it was tomatoes and ham and onions over linguine. I had a second glass of wine, toasted with the other table, and started reading again. Then they got another glass of wine, so we toasted again!

I love these people.

After I finished my book (Treasure Island, a first time read for me), I paid the check and was pulling my coat off the rack, when the owner came over and insisted I had a glass of prosecco. I am not one to hesitate too much when alcoholic beverages are being offered. So I drank the bubbly, and toasted my good fortune.

It was late, and I was a bit too tipsy to drive over to hallstadt in the snow, so I just walked home and put my pajamas on.

this morning there was an inch and a half of snow on the ground. I put on my only boots (3" heel) and some of my just-arrived clothes, pleated blue wool skirt and supersoft brand new red sweater, and trucked on into work. it's still coming down pretty good, I think we're up to 4".

tonight I'll go collect the remainder of my things from hallstadt, and haul them up to my new digs. oh, I was ecstatic to sleep in my own bed, and to start getting my self settled in. it's nice to have a home again. it makes me a little less of a vagabond.

I realized yesterday that with the trees bare, I can see the castle from the window in my front hall. they light it up at night. so that's pretty fantastic.

tomorrow I get the internets!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?