22 January 2007

 

Appliance Delivery and Light Fixture Shopping

First, I took delivery of my new washing machine and refrigerator. what about the dryer? you ask. the helpful saleslady who took care of my on my first visit to the Best Buy (Codename: MediaMarkt) ordered me 2 washing machines and 0 dryers. So I asked the delivery guys to install only one of the washers, and take the other one back to the store. They assented to a point. it turns out I was missing a critical interface piece (that belongs to the house, not the washer itself), so the washer is only mostly installed.

I then made a visit to their store. I explained the washerwasher 0dryer situation to a new saleslady, and she helped me order a dryer.

the area that I'm putting these appliances into is a cubby about one machine wide, and two machines high, right behind the door to my bathroom. that is the only place for it. as you can imagine, I had to make sure the dryer could go on top of washer. well, it turns out the first saleslady sold me a notgreat washing machine, which will move a lot on the spin cycle and might just shake a dryer right off of it. well that was just great news.

at this point I almost cried. standing amongst the refrigerators wearing their Energy Consumption tags I took a deep breath and told myself, "This is nothing. There is a solution and we will find it together. Even if they have to bring the first washer back, and deliver a new one. We will find a solution."

after some brainstorming, we figured out an intermediate piece that would go between the washer and dryer and would help the dryer not jump off. either way, I'm advised to please be at home when I run my first load of doubledecker laundry in case there are any suicide attempts. this I can do. worst case, I think I can rig up a safety harness for the dryer. but serious development of that concept will wait until it's proven necessary.

point of interest: the dryers here don't vent to the outside, instead they have a condensation tank. all the water from the clothing is condensed into the tank, which can then be emptied down the nearest drain.

After my successful visit to MediaMarkt, I test drove another Focus. I'm this close to buying one. I just have to get a couple more papers in order first.

I went to ikea and solved my lighting problem. I also had a yummy salmon dinner in their little Cantina before I went shopping (it helped a lot, especially the raspberry cake). I got ceiling lights for all the rooms, some strategic rugs for bathroom, bedroom and entryway, a reading lamp, and a bedside lamp that looks like a tulip!

No headache, raspberry cake and a tulip lamp. I was going to try to avoid ikea because it's like fast food furniture, but in the end i decided i would take the easy way out and call it a cultural experience. the local germs really do buy a lot of their furnishings there.

extra bonus: i get to drive the autobahn to get there, and it's only about 30 min away. very accessible.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?