24 January 2007

 

Red Letter Day!

the best thing happened. I moved in!

I am such a happy girl. in fact, I was overcome a couple times while I was unpacking. I've wanted this for a very long time. After 2 mos of living out of suitcases, chasing down the right paperwork at the City Hall, talking to real estate agents on the phone, slowing down their prattle to an intelligible speed, and seeing countless apartments.. I'm in! My stuff is here! I live here now!!

Now it's all for real.

the 3 movers needed about 3 hours to move the 111 boxes (by their count) and all my furniture up to the 3rd floor apartment. (thank god for the movers, otherwise I would have needed a ground floor apt)

So they're hauling all my junk up, and I'm feeling like I have a tonne of shit, but then it only took three hours with a stop for breakfast. One guy, near the end, looked at me and said, 'bikes, skis, camping equipment, you do it all, dontcha? you must be top-fit!' I told him I'm one busy girl.

almost everything came through unscathed. hell, I unpacked my martini glasses (the most impractical, delicate glassware I own) without a chip, but my eames chair is damaged. I threw out the 20yo handmedown couch i had in detroit, so I'm couchless.




Over the last 2 mos of tumbleweed living i had passionate vivid fantasies about sitting in the eames chair reading a book, with a cold cocktail near at hand. i even bought it a new reading lamp. alas, no. :( this was another moment of almost-tears.

the good news is: my landlord has an antiques shop, and he sells a lot of 50's Modern furniture. he was in my apt to see the moisture between the panes of a window, and noticed the chair. "Pure Design! is it one of the old ones?" so we had a nice little chat about it. i'm sure he's going to be able to recommend someone to restore it for me. plus, i'll probably have the cushions professionally TLC'd. the former owners were none too kind to it.

after the movers left, I unpacked. most of the kitchen things are in their right spots, there are now books on the shelves, and clothes in racks. I have a little list of required furniture, but it'll come soon enough, and really, I'm pretty well set for the moment. Even the spinning wheel came out unscathed. I'm just happy and a half.

in the kitchen i put my cocktail shaker, a couple martini glasses, and swizzle sticks on a shelf with my tiki drinks and classic cocktails recipe books. i'm trying to take it slowly, and love every little minute of it.

my tool box was about the last thing I found. go figure.


Comments:
Congrats on being all moved in and settled finally...

Now you can start getting ready for guests!! (wink..wink..)

tata

-Nick
 
YAY! The martini glasses and swizzle sticks made it - now I am happy too!
 
One word - IKEA.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?