07 October 2006

 

Friendship stretching

In stretching and struggling to accommodate new circumstances, a person's internal problem solving methods become visible. Decision making patterns come to light and their true values show through. Advsersity is historically a great time to learn about one's self and others.

In 8 weeks I'll cross the dark Atlantic and start a new phase in Germany. Already some people are pulling away from me, concerned about an imminent "loss" (like Europe is so far away!). Others are drawing closer, trying to be part of my last few weeks.

It's sad and cold to me that some of the people in my life are making it an early termination. Like, if I'm not going to be here forever, then I'm not worth knowing. I'm not trying to start much in the way of new relationships, I'm just trying to prolong the magic with the people I've so enjoyed.

I'm trying to look at this as a lesson. I try to be the kind of friend that stays in it 'til the end. I don't want someone who's been part of my life to feel like I'm cutting them out early because they're facing a change, especially one they choose for themselves.

I don't want to step out early, not be there. I want to be a friend that holds hands and raises toasts as people I know and love move into new phases.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?