30 January 2006

 

Soocan Snowboarding I

Last year, Nick, Marts, and I went up to Searchmont in Sault Ste. Marie, Canada for a little snowboarding getaway. I met this guy, Aaron, on the lift. He was kinda cute, my age, and had facial piercings. Yay. We all hung out that night, exchanged addies, and went our separate ways. I talked to him a couple of times over the last year, but not often.

This past weekend, I was going nuts. I had been in the Detroit Burbs for more than 3months without travel. Also, I'm not getting much exercise (what with it being winter, and even though I've been going to the gym) and even less fresh air (see also: This Winter Has Been Too Sucky Rainy To Go Outside).

I invited 10 of my closest friends and acquaintances to go to the Soo with me. Of course, I mailed them Friday morning, for an evening road trip, but still. I got nothing but weak brushoffs - We've got our kid, I'm going to a party, I was in the Rockies last weekend, my arm's broken.. All kinds of whiny answers.

So I drove up by myself. Through the simple process of bending space and time, I made it from Auburn Hills to the Soo in 4.5hours, and that includes bathroom breaks and food stops.

Aaron invited me to sleep on the couch. And I did, sleep on the couch. Both nights - a bit of a novelty for me. I took my good sleeping bag and was snug as a bug. His girlfriend wasn't using her season pass Saturday, so I got a free lift ticket as well. w00t.

We rode for a couple hours (i had to remember which end of the board went down first - a task made more difficult by the board shop, who replaced my bindings at 180degrees off their usual setup after waxing) and stopped mid afternoon for a beer and wardrobe change. It must have been 45F. I stripped off my long underwear and ditched my parka. I rode for the rest of the afternoon in my fleece vest, longsleeve shirt, and skipants.

It is one of my favorite things to drink a beer outdoors in the snow when the afternoon sun is shining down. Marts and I enjoyed a pitcher of Canadian like that at Alpine Valley last year, sitting on a balcony, feet on the railing. Aaron and I drank Keith's IPA and Red Maple Lager on the roof of the bar, watching the skiiers. It is just my favorite thing.

That, and coming home with my first windburned cheeks of winter.

Comments:
Glad to hear you got out to do some boarding... sorry we never got together (see: this winter has been too sucky rainy to go out) =] I haven't been since before christmas... been riding my bike tho... Yea!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?