12 January 2006

 

a new ma-chine

I bought myself a present.

Last november I won a little prize money in the Iceman race. I wanted to spend it on something special, something I'd remember. Last year, Marts won $ and used it to pierce her eyebrows. In January I was finally inspired. I put the money towards a Kenmore sewing machine.

I thought my friends would laugh when I told them I was spending money won by racing mountain bikes on a sewing machine (how domestic!!). I was surprised by their responses: two who don't have sewing machines were jealous, and friend who has one said something like, "I don't know how you've lived without one for so long. Good plan."

Both K (who was a tailor and costumer for many years) and my Mom (whose maternal credentials give instant creedence to her opinion) suggested Sears' Kenmore brand. Last weekend I bought it. Pia drove me to the schrotty mall with the Sears, and a big black man who knew nothing about sewing machines was able to find the model I wanted in the back room. And I walked out with a new mechanical treasure. One that will let me modify all things fabric.

The first thing I did was felt up some salvation army sweaters in the washing machine and stitch up some handbags inspired by the Recycled Sweater Totes out of Leigh Radford's Alterknits.

This weekend I'm going to try for a dress. I picked up an "easy" and a "very easy" pattern at Joann's, picked out some green linen and some dark pink corduroy. They're very simple A-line dresses, but will lend themselves well to embellishment. That'll be fun. As will sewing zippers. I've never sewn zippers before, and this machine has a zipper foot. w00t.

i also picked up 2 5-yard lengths of gorgeous chinese brocade. i don't know what i'm going to do with it, but i really wanted it. and it was on sale. and i need to start a fabric stash, right?

Ooh, I'm all excited. I'm a little fiber nerd.. ah well.

Comments:
ok, so I was pretty sure that I would never see (sewing)machine (or zipper foot) and w00t in the same sentance... tears.. really, sreaming down my face.. and laughing.. very much..
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?